Thursday, May 5, 2011

Review: Lady Gaga - Judas - The Video


Judas! Juda-Ah-Ah! Judas! Juda-ah-ah! Judas! Juda-ah-ah! Judas! GaGa!

Oh Yes, You read it right, the Judas video has finally dropped and It-Is-Fucking-Amazing. 'Nuff Said. 

I was counting down to this since last week and I couldn't believe it's here!!! Apparently, this was also released hours early because of leaks spreading, Like the song. So I was at school when this premiered, basically I was an hour late to the premiere, sucks, right? 

Judas Is here. Judas. I'm so excited to share my review+interpretation to this!!! I will try to avoid play-by-play synopses of my music video reviews from now on, I promise. 

Watch The FUCKING AMAZING Short Film after the jump!!!




Synopsis with Interpretation:

You know that when it comes to Gaga, her videos are choking full of symbolism on current even and her thought on it. So I decide to take my shot and interpret this.

The video starts with Gaga riding a motorbike with a man (Which I think is Jesus) along with 12 other bikers (The 12 apostles). So I think this scene symbolizes the beginning of the Journey of these modern day holy figures Lady Gaga is portraying Mary Magdalene in this video, In case you didn't know.
She starts singing, and it shows the leather jackets having some imprints on it saying their name such as: Judas, John, Peter, and Thomas (4 of the 12 apostles) . A short shot of Gaga smiling and playing with the "Jesus" of this video is shown. They then arrive to the Electric Chapel (Song title from Born This Way) which is their hideout place; their congregating spot. This in my opinion is their "Jerusalem", their place and home.

The 1st verse is mostly performance and dance, but towards the end, they arrive at a party or a very messy meeting. Gaga is shown pushing around other people as she leads "Jesus."

The chorus is mostly dance but Judas is shown in this scene kissing 2 women, and "Jesus" looking worried.

The 2nd Verse starts with Gaga and "Jesus" walking into the crowd, or perhaps a marketplace. She is also shown interacting with another disciple, Peter,  in a short shot. She is also carrying a golden flail. Judas looks drunk and it looks like trouble is brewing, "Jesus" is looking worried again.

The Chorus breaks out in what seems to be a bar-fight. Gaga is shown looking fearful and holding on to "Jesus" for safety. They show themselves the way out of the fray, while Judas is still fighting, and flirting on the "dance floor" So to speak.

The breakdown begins whilst Gaga and "Jesus" are walking to a gathering. Lady Gaga is shown as the prosecutor in this scene as she is "forced" to hurt/defile Judas for his unholy doings. She looks to "Jesus" then points a golden gun at Judas and out comes a stick of lipstick,  not a bullet. She Lines Judas' mouth with it and she breaks down. I guess she now became the traitor for "betraying" Judas.

An abruptly brief interlude occurs. She is shown being flooded away by waters (I guess the waters symbolize her thoughts as she is overpowered by them). And her, Washing "Jesus'" feet. Whilst spreading water on herself in the process.

The 2nd part of the breakdown begins as Gaga raises her hands, and Judas is shown Kissing "Jesus" on the cheeks (this is what the actual Judas did to Jesus, as he was given up to pilate.)

The final chorus begins as Gaga is shown devastated and appealing to "Jesus". I think what happens is. she is given up and let go by "Jesus" to die. Another Betrayal. She is also kissed by "Jesus" like what Judas did to him. A final shot of Gaga looking holy. She is stoned to death. A final tear was shed.

OVERALL RATING: 10 Stars out Of 5 


YES!!! Call me biased but I like this video much more than Born This Way. Yes, It does not show any direct religious symbolisms but It's meaning so obvious: Betrayal.  I saw it 3 times. The creatively amazing Gaga is back and better than ever!!! I cannot wait for Born This Way on May 23! Expect 2 album tours on that! 

No comments: